Cynthia's Summer Adventure

This blog will chronicle my journey through the process of septal myectomy surgery at the Mayo Clinic in Rochester, MN. My surgery is currently scheduled for August 11, 2006.

Sunday, July 08, 2012

Continuing the climb...

My surgery was almost 6 years ago in August of 2006, and I am still surprising myself with the results. 

Yesterday I went with Jesse and Vince to visit the Will Rogers State Park here in Pacific Palisades, CA.  We decided to take what is described as an "easy walk for the whole family" to the top which is called "Inspiration Point" and has a sweeping vista of the whole city of Los Angeles as well as of the coast.  The walk is 2 miles roundtrip and is 300 feet elevation.  Experienced hikers may think that it is an "easy walk for the whole family," but before I had my surgery, I couldn't even walk up my own driveway without feeling miserable!

Once we started up it seemed fine, so I kept going even though Vince had told me at the outset that maybe I should stay behind.  We climbed higher and higher and I started to get concerned about whether I could make it.  But before I had a chance to wimp out, we were there!  Above is a picture of me at the top.  It seems that my mind is still stuck in a before surgery framework, but my body is able to do what it needs to do.  I didn't even feel any real discomfort.

Meanwhile, I have started swimming again for exercise.  I also surprised myself a few weeks ago when I joined the local Y and swam laps for the first time, really, since my surgery.  I was able to go for 30 minutes with only stopping for a minute or two periodically to rest.  Even in my pre-diagnosis days, I was really only able to go for 25 minutes or so without tuckering out.

Of course, I have been conditioning alot, and ever since surgery (actually, even before) I have been going to the gym at least 5 times a week and doing the elliptical trainer and bike, but who knew?

On the negative side, just to remind me that I am still not cured of all of this HCM nonsense, I have been having a little more chest discomfort (which really feels more like pressure in the neck and jaw) and with my doctor's blessing, have increased my diltiazem (calcium channel blocker) just a little bit to see if that helps the issue.

Pretty great, but not perfect, unfortunately!

Until next time....

See you at the top!

Cynthia

Cynthia@4hcm.org

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home