Cynthia's Summer Adventure

This blog will chronicle my journey through the process of septal myectomy surgery at the Mayo Clinic in Rochester, MN. My surgery is currently scheduled for August 11, 2006.

Sunday, June 10, 2012

6 years later....doing great!

So, it has been a long time since I have updated this blog (2 years, it seems!) and last weekend I went to the annual HCMA meeting.  It was the 8th anniversary of my first trip to New Jersey where I first had the opportunity to meet my Mayo doctors - Steve Ommen, my Mayo cardiologist, and Joe Dearani, my surgeon.  Up above you can see a picture of me with Dr. Dearani.  I had an opportunity to introduce both doctors before they spoke at the meeting, and it was a real pleasure for me to be in that position. 

Following my surgery, I decided to get more involved with the HCMA, because I really do believe that it made a HUGE difference in my own treatment and outcome.  First, I became a moderator on the internet message board.  Then, a year or so later, I joined the Board of Directors and two years ago, I became the Chairman (or Chairwoman!) of the Board.

I have been feeling great.  It is still a work in progress...Since the surgery I have required some re-programming of my implantable defibrillator having to do with the rate response settings, and some medication adjustments (adding diltiazem, a calcium channel blocker to my beta blocker), to make an even bigger difference, but it is like night and day from before the surgery.  I am so glad that I did it, and every day I am grateful for getting a second chance.

So, if you are still out there, write back and let me know.  I just managed to get back into the email address associated with this blog, but you can also reach me at Cynthia@4hcm.org.

Take care out there, and join with the HCMA to get the word out about HCM.

http://www.4hcm.org/


1 Comments:

Blogger Sassy said...

I'm so glad you responded to my post about my husband and his HCM on FB. I've read your entire blog and truly appreciate all you shared. Congratulations on living your life to the fullest!
Sandi Smith

9:37 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home