Cynthia's Summer Adventure

This blog will chronicle my journey through the process of septal myectomy surgery at the Mayo Clinic in Rochester, MN. My surgery is currently scheduled for August 11, 2006.

Sunday, July 04, 2010

Is anyone still out there?


Today is July 4, 2010, and I am wondering whether there is anyone out there who is still reading this blog. Lots has happened since my last entry, but the most important thing is that I am still feeling well almost 4 years after my surgery. It took some time and adjustments of both my ICD and my medications, but today I am feeling better than I have since my surgery four years ago. If anyone is wondering whether they should have a myectomy, with the benefit of hindsight, I would still say an unqualified "YES!"

I have not felt perfect since my surgery. I still have a very serious heart condition. I was not "cured" by the surgery. I have had periods of symptoms, particularly chest pain, since the surgery. However, these symptoms were never anywhere as debilitating as were the symptoms prior to surgery. Additionally, I was able to make some easy adjustments and improve the symptoms. Today, I would say that the symptoms I experience are transient. I now go days, even weeks, without noticing an HCM symptom. Before the surgery, I did not even go hours.


Jesse has just completed 2nd grade and is bound for 3rd. He continues to do well. I am posting a picture of the two of us taken recently.

Labels:

4 Comments:

Anonymous Laura said...

Hello -- I just ran across your blog, and read the entire thing!Since I might be having a myectomy one of these days -- sooner, actually, rather than later -- it meant a lot to me.

Thanks for writing.

I'm still terrified of the surgery -- most of all, of waking up / the 24 hours after that / and potential cognitive effects (I don't do well with anesthetic). But it sure helped to read your account.

Best of luck to you in the future!

9:21 PM  
Anonymous Yo-Ann Collazo said...

Hi. Thank you for keeping this blog open and for the update. Four years ago it would have meant nothing to me. Now, it means so much. My husband has hypertrophic cardiomyopathy. His dr seems to be going through the motions trying every type of medication therapy. He is a disabled vet. He joined the army right out of highschool and though he had a career that provided well after the army, his heart condition prevents him from continuing and he is now in school, looking for a new career. I never finished college and can't provide for us. We are on baby #4, and I am terrified of his having this surgery while I am pregnant. I don't have time to read it all right now, but I will be reading the entire thing this week. At this point, he has gained at least 50 lbs, because he can no longer excersize, only walk. He cannot lift more than 20lbs, which means that he can't lift our 22lb one year old son. His physical limitations have brought on depression and have change him. What were your limitations prior to surgery? How has that gotten better? Thanks- Yo-Ann Collazo, mommabeba@yahoo.com

7:34 AM  
Blogger Heavy Heart said...

Thank you for making a blog, to inform others. I appreciate it and find it very helpful as my son is scheduled to have his myectomy on December 8th. Glad to hear you are doing well.

6:45 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Yes, there are and it was great reading for someone facing the same surgery! Good luck on your continued health... please drop in every so often and give us an update.

12:13 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home