Cynthia's Summer Adventure

This blog will chronicle my journey through the process of septal myectomy surgery at the Mayo Clinic in Rochester, MN. My surgery is currently scheduled for August 11, 2006.

Sunday, October 08, 2006

8 week update

Sorry I haven't written anything for a month. It's hard to believe that its been a whole month since I have written anything on this blog. I have been so busy doing cardiac rehab, planning Jesse's birthday party, doctor appointments, shopping, etc. that I haven't had time to write anything.

So, I started cardiac rehab about 3 weeks ago. It has been really good, and I have been improving alot. Even from the start, however, I have been able to exercise for 45 - 50 minutes at a stretch. First, I do 30 minutes on the treadmill (I have progressed from 2.8 mph to 3.3 in the last week or two and have gone up two levels on the recumbent bike.)

Later this week, on Thursday, I am going back to work. I have been there to visit a few times, and I think that every time they have seen me they are wondering why I couldn't come back to work sooner. The problem is that I was good in short bursts, but would wear out of energy after a couple of hours and need to lay down and nap. Hopefully this week I will be up to the task. The one time I didn't nap this week after rehab, however, I barely was able to say awake unti 8:30 p.m. I left Vince to put Jesse to bed.

I had an echocardiogram last week at Cedars, and my outflow tract gradient was 7 mmHG down from >80 mmHG. Dr. Siegel, my local cardiologist, is very pleased with my progress. He is even reducing my antiarrythmic meds (which Mayo put me on after my post-surgical a-fib episodes) to try to get me totally off of them in a month or two.

On the whole, I am feeling much better than before the surgery. My post-surgical anemia is gone, and my exercise capacity continues to increase. I can walk on inclines with considerably more ease than before, although I still experience shortness of breath after climbing a staircase (although it is easier to climb and w/o chest pain while climbing.)

My dad is out here visiting this weekend. He hasn't been able to come and visit us since my wedding, so we are very excited to show him our house and Jesse is thrilled to be able to spend time with his Grandpa Herb and his Uncle Howard, who generously accompanied my dad on his journey.

Well, that's about it for now. More later. Maybe next month....:)

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Cynthia,
Wonderful report. You continue to surprise me and give me hope as I trail you in recovery by four weeks or so. Sounds like getting off the anti-arrythmia med is within reach. Hope it happens soon. You appear to be breaking all records when it comes to building your exercise stamina. Anemia gone? Wow!
Keep up the great work. You KNOW I'll be watching.
Mike

6:15 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home