Cynthia's Summer Adventure

This blog will chronicle my journey through the process of septal myectomy surgery at the Mayo Clinic in Rochester, MN. My surgery is currently scheduled for August 11, 2006.

Saturday, September 09, 2006

4 week report

Well, I am officially starting to feel more normal.

Yesterday was 4 weeks from the surgery so my driving restriction was lifted. Vince would not allow me to drive until he personally cleared me, so together we went to the pharmacy to pick up some prescriptions. Once he decided I was ok (or at least the same bad driver that I was before the surgery), I dropped him at home and went on the the gym where I walked on the treadmill for 30 minutes. I think I may restrict my own driving priviliges to a 4 or 5 mile radius for a few weeks, but short distances seems ok.

On Wednesday and Thursday I went out to lunch with various friends and co-workers, so I guess I am definitely on the mend. Then, last night we went to a new member welcoming service at Temple Isaiah. Our family was chosen as "ambassadors" to new members, so we went to perform our duties. We brought a picnic dinner, stayed 'til the bitter end and then walked home.

Wednesday I am going to see my eletrophysiologist (that is my defibrillator doctor), David Cannom. This will be the first time I have seen him since the surgery so I will be interested to hear his feedback, particularly about the arrythmias.

Otherwise, I continue to gain strength. I am walking faster this week and am having less difficulty on the hills. I still have some pain in the sternum and still have a periodic tightness/pain in my throat, especially when exercising. I was hoping that that feeling would entirely disappear as I thought it was related to obstruction, but perhaps it will in time, or perhaps that hope was unreasonable. I may check in with the Mayo folks this week and see what they think.

I still get pretty tired in the middle of the day and have to lie down for an hour or so, but the rest of the time that I am awake I am doing ok.

Jesse starts the year of preschool this week, so it will be quieter around the house and maybe I will get an earlier start in the morning.

Until next time (if anyone is even still reading this blog!!! I know that it is a little anti-climactic.)

3 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Cynaburst

Hey I still read it. I am glad to hear that you are having a very boring recovery. Has the myectomy improved your symptoms? or is it still too early to tell?

Scottonbike

1:42 PM  
Blogger Haley said...

Hey Cynthia, keep up the good workouts and I'm sure some good will come of it. I can't speak to the myectomy, but I know the cardiac rehab I'm doing in Torrance (the closest cardiac rehab to our home in San Pedro) is really benefiting me!

Cheers,
Rob

4:42 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi Cynthia,
I didn't know! Glad you are better. You sound in great spirits. Best to you, Vince and Jesse.

5:23 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home