Cynthia's Summer Adventure

This blog will chronicle my journey through the process of septal myectomy surgery at the Mayo Clinic in Rochester, MN. My surgery is currently scheduled for August 11, 2006.

Sunday, August 20, 2006

Greetings everyone from my HOME computer with the DSL working! The last several days at the hotel having to use dial-up were annoying, but hey, if I had to have issues, I was happier to have them with a little suitcase misplaced on the way there, internet connection issues, and yesterday, the car service we arranged for to pick us up didn't show so we had to take a cab.

Oh well.

The flying, which I was really worried about in advance, was no problem. We took a Lincoln Town Car to the airport in Minneapolis, I got a wheelchair from the curb, and the airline pretty much took care of me. I was able to walk onto and off of the plane at the gate, but really didn’t want to mess with security and the long long long terminals at MSP Airport.

Since I have an ICD (pacemaker), I cannot go through the regular security line and require a pat down. I asked the girl not to touch my chest – I told her that I would be happy to show it to her, but because the incision is still new, and the sternum is not healed, I would prefer no touching, so I got to go to a little draped room and do a Drew Barrymore to I am sure what was a less appreciative audience than David Letterman, not to mention that the goods are accented with scars and bruises!

Physically, I am doing o.k. I actually slept for 10 hours last night with only a couple of momentary breaks, so that was quite nice. My new least-ugly-in-the-store La-Z-Boy Recliner was quite comfy with a comforter and a few pillows.

My only complaints now are that I am still having sporadic episodes of arrythmia that seem to self convert. I had a 3 or 4 minute run of a-fib on Friday at the hotel just after seeing both Drs. Ommen and Dearani for my goodbye clearance.

I actually managed to find Dr. O’s number, call him, and get him on the phone while the whole incident was happening. Then, while I was talking to him, it reverted to a normal rhythm. He told me that as long as they just lasted a few minutes and self converted, he wouldn’t change anything, and that I was ok to fly home, so that is what happened, and that is what I did.

I am also getting a periodic pain in my chest which feels sort of like what I used to feel from obstruction, and sort of different. It doesn’t seem to be caused by exertion, and may be caused by arrythmia, but I am not sure. I guess it could also just be the muscle hurting where it was sheared off.

O.K., off to have some delicious, low salt, high iron breakfast.

Bye,

Cynthia

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Cynthia, don't think I've forgotten you. After returning from vacation, my garden was overflowing, I've literally 'canned' for days on end. I haven't even had a chance to log on the computer. You sound like you are doing so wonderful, with above average energy for this stage. And good sleep, that is helping your stamina. I'm sorry to hear about the dysrhythmia, I hope this rectifies itself soon. I'm also glad your nausea was short-lived, this was my number one issue which lasted for nearly 2 weeks. So once again, I think you are doing fabulous and ahead of the 'game'. Glad those iron rich foods are working for you. Keep it up. As for the low salt....was this recommended to you? Do you have high blood pressure? or fluid retention? If you don't, frankly I would not worry about a strict low sodium diet. If you avoid the salt shaker and processed/canned foods, for the most part, you should be fine. Email me, if you want to discuss further. Keep up the good work! Laura

2:05 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home