Cynthia's Summer Adventure

This blog will chronicle my journey through the process of septal myectomy surgery at the Mayo Clinic in Rochester, MN. My surgery is currently scheduled for August 11, 2006.

Thursday, August 10, 2006

Surgery tomorrow..

Hi everyone,

Just a quick update. I met with Drs. O. and D. today. The show is on for tomorrow. They are gonna do a cath first (to make sure that I don't also have blocked arteries and need a bypass), and then the surgery in the mid-day. The cath is optional, but Dr. O decided that he would rather do it considering my history than not do it and find out later that there is some other problem.

The other weirdness is my obstruction is greatest at mid-cavity and not at the top of the septum which is typical. According to Dr. D. this is called a "lemon" septum. I always knew I had a lemon, but now it's official!

Dr. D. said that he may not be able to cut away all of that obstruction through the aorta, so he might additionally have to go back and make a second incision through the apex of the heart and take out the rest.

He is not sure what he will do, and will know more when he is in there. He said that if he didn't take away all of the mid-cavity obstruction, my symptom relief might not be complete, so he says the better approach is to make a second incision.

Well, that's why I chose him. It's all up to him now. See you all on the other side.....(I could write more tonight if I can't sleep. We'll see. Right now Vince and I are gonna go and eat dinner.)

5 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Cynthia you have completely filled me in for the past week. Tomorrow is the big day, and you sound very confident. From what you've written, you have made an excellent choice. My mother joins me in prayers and hopes for a completely success surgery, and a quick and speedy recovery. Love ya, Jan and Bunny

P.S. Blog me or call me when you return so I can be of some help to you.

9:30 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi Cynthia and Vince,

I am writing rather late in the evening, Pacific Time, just in case you check for comments before you go to the hospital for surgery. I read all your narratives, and as always am so pleased and impressed with your intelligence and sense of humor!

Arnold and I love you and are praying for you and your family. We are very confident that you will sail through this experience and be back in Los Angeles feeling better and recuperating quickly.

With all our love and positive thoughts,

Barbara and Arnold

10:55 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Cynthia & Vince -- I will be thinking of y'all tomorrow and sending positive thoughts from The Valley. Am very glad to read that so far it's going swimmingly. You even timed your flights well and missed today's Gatorade-ban on planes today. It's a good sign. Love, Janis

11:04 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Cynthia,

Once again I admire your wisdom and courage. I know you are doing the right thing and you will be good as new "on the other side".

Love,

Jay

12:21 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Cynthia,

Once again, I admire your wisdom and courage. I know you are doing the right thing and you will be as good as new "on the other side".

Love,

Jay

12:23 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home