Cynthia's Summer Adventure

This blog will chronicle my journey through the process of septal myectomy surgery at the Mayo Clinic in Rochester, MN. My surgery is currently scheduled for August 11, 2006.

Wednesday, July 26, 2006

Why Mayo?

People keep asking me why I have to travel to the Mayo Clinic in Rochester, MN. to have this surgery when there are plenty of capable doctors right here in Los Angeles. Well, here is the reason....I am going to the place where they have the most experience with this surgery.

There is a dedicated Hypertrophic Cardiomyopathy clinic at Mayo which treats people from around the world. My surgeon, Joe Dearani, has done more of these operations than almost anyone else in the U.S. There are 4 doctors in the country who have done the lion's share of this surgery, Dr. Dearani being among them.

I happened to have the opportunity to meet Dr. Dearani and Dr. Steve Ommen, my Mayo cardiologist, last year at the annual HCMA meeting. I was so impressed with them I decided that when and if this time came, Mayo was where I was headed. So, after much trial and error with different medications, and working closely with my local doctors, we have all come to the conclusion that this is the best way to go.

My local doctors, Dr. Robert Siegel and Dr. David Cannom, are the best that L.A. has to offer, so I will have excellent post-operative care right here at home.

3 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Cynthia,

I'm sure the surgery will go well.

Here's wishing you the best.

I think this Blog is a neat idea and accomplishment.

Love,

Bobbi and Jay

1:05 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

yer's mom's in the house y'all

3:27 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Cynthia,
This is a great blog. It is great reading. Good luck on the 11th. From one HCN'er to another, you picked a great place for your surgery. Please keep us posted. My prayers will be with you.

Remember, always keep a "Positive Mental Attitude".


Tigger1

1:02 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home