Cynthia's Summer Adventure

This blog will chronicle my journey through the process of septal myectomy surgery at the Mayo Clinic in Rochester, MN. My surgery is currently scheduled for August 11, 2006.

Tuesday, July 18, 2006

I have a hereditary heart condition known as Hypertrophic Cardiomyopathy or "HCM." The main feature of hypertrophic cardiomyopathy is an excessive thickening of the heart muscle (hypertrophy literally means to thicken). The abnormality of the heart muscle in Hypertrophic Cardiomyopathy causes two problems. First, it can sometimes interfere with the normal electrical signal in the heart and cause sudden cardiac death. That is the reason that I have had an implantable cardiac defibrillator implanted into my chest -- to prevent against a potentially lethal arrythmia. Secondly, and of note in my case, the muscle thickening also narrows the outflow tract where the blood is pumped from my heart out into the rest of the body. During the ejection of the blood flow from the heart, my mitral valve touches my septum (there should normally be a considerable gap between these structures) causing turbulent blood flow and obstruction to flow which produces a loud murmur. In the surgery I am scheduled for, called a septal "myectomy," Dr. Dearani will remove a portion of the thickened muscle from the septum (or the part of the muscle that divides the heart) thereby widening the outflow tract and relieving the obstruction. This should both relieve my symptoms and improve my long term prognosis. If you would like to learn more information about HCM, please visit www.4HCM.org.

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Cyn,
You will be in our thoughts and prayers. But I know you're going to do great! And so will Jesse. Call if you think of any last minute questions before your trip. I'll be anxiously awaiting your news.
Theresa
Fellow HCMer / "THW" on the HCMA board

3:52 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Cynthia, like I said before, there can't be anyone more prepared for surgery than you. I know you will do great because of this. As well, you are a veteran in regards to surgery. This may seem easy compared to brain surgery!!! Bless you during this time and may Jesse be comforted with family. I like that you think it is an adventure, way to go! Please email me, too if you need any more support from the HCM/myectomy club!! I'll be following your progress and expect good results and recovery!! And may your husband be at peace. Remind him to get rest as well!! (the spouse is often forgot and it's very hard on them!)
Take good care, Laura (eatwell at HCMA)

4:32 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home